Whether you are a high-profile professional, a laborer, or a student, if you’re currently in the process of a job search, you need a flawless resume.
Despite a common belief, a resume does much more than simply communicating your level of qualification and key skills. Since most employers are looking to hire humans, it should also reveal your personality and show what makes you the right applicant. It has to drive attention, engage, and stand out. So, writing it can be a real challenge. Yet, there is a solution!
In case you are not sure how to craft a winning resume that will get you hired, all you need is a good resume example at hand.
In this guide, you will find lots of handy tips and an example of a good resume for different positions, including
- cosmetology sample resume;
- Harvard resume sample;
- animators resume samples;
- child acting resume examples.
More about student resume examples go here
How To Write a Resume
Most job seekers find resume writing to be the hardest part of preparing their job applications. It's not that hard to write and organize, but most applicants just don't know where to start and how to do it right.
If you want a resume that would let you get more interviews and jump-start your career, we’ve got you covered! We’re going to share with you many tips for your job application and great sample resume templates that will help you to craft your perfect resume.
But, if you’re wondering how to write a resume that will help you land a job, let’s start with a quick overview of the key steps:
And if you’d like to see a winning example of a resume to get on the right track, read on!
- read the job description first;
- choose the right format and layout;
- write a summary or objective;
- organize your contact info, experience, education, skills, and additional sections;
- tailor it to the job description.
Want to have your resume in the quickest time possible. Go on https://skillhub.com/resume-writing-service
for learning more about write my resume request, resume writing services, cover letter, and many more.
Choose the Best Format for a Resume
When you apply for a job, you want a recruiter to see your best points first. That’s how you can attract the recruiter’s attention and boost your chances to land an interview. That’s when the format of your resume plays a significant role.
When it comes to formatting, there’s no one-fits-all solution, so you’ll need to pick a format that will work best for you.
Generally, there are 3 most common formats:
Based on these descriptions, choose what format type suits you.
- reverse-chronological - focuses on work experience and is considered the best resume format for candidates with relevant experience, students, entry-level specialists, and academic professionals.
- functional - also called skills-based, this sample resume format focuses on skills and is perfect for military transitioners and creatives.
- combination - also referred to as chrono-functional or hybrid, focuses on both skills and experiences and suits career changers, job seekers with an employment gap, and seasoned professionals.
Write a Resume Summary or Resume Objective
Once you’ve defined the right format, it’s time to make an intro to your resume. There are two ways to do it.
Both introductions are used to drive the attention of hiring managers. Thus, it is important to include one of them if you want to stand out and get employed.
- A resume summary wraps up your career accomplishments and experiences to show recruiters your biggest strengths right away. It’s perfect for experienced candidates.
- A resume objective focuses on your career goals and highlights your main skills. It works best if you are a career changer or an entry-level applicant.
Describe Your Experience on a Resume
An experience section is highly important as it’s what shows the hiring manager that you are a good or bad match for the job.
Here are some basic tips on how to describe work experience on a resume.
Should I include irrelevant work experience on a resume? It’s unnecessary if you have enough experience relevant to the job you are applying for. If not, you can, but only if you highlight transferable skills.
Here’s a sample of resume experience entry.
Social Media Manager
American Eagle, May 2013 - September 2016
- Put most recent experience first.
- Mention these details:
- company name;
- bullets with accomplishments and responsibilities.
- Tailor this section to the job description.
- managed all brand’s accounts in social media and increased the overall number of followers by 70%;
- planned and implemented all social media campaigns and achieved 3x better ROIs;
- increased brand awareness by 67% through a consistent and effective SMM strategy.
How To List Skills on a Resume
When organizing your skills for resume, follow these crucial rules:
Don’t know what to put for skills on resume? Here are some of the most sought-after soft and hard skills to consider.
- keep the skills relevant to the job description;
- list skills in bullet points in a separate Skills section;
- include only the key skills;
- mix soft and hard skills;
- mention a few core skills also in the experience section and your summary/objective;
- be sure to use relevant keywords to make your resume visible to the applicant tracking system (ATS).
||Speaking a foreign language
Add Contact Info to Your Resume
Typically, the contact info part is located at the top of the resume, in the document’s header. This section must provide recruiting firms and potential employers with accurate and up-to-date information.
What kind of contact info to add to a resume? Several basic contact details have to be in every perfect resume example. These include
You can provide extra details, such as links to your website or blog, accounts on social media, portfolio, references and testimonials from previous employers, and so on.
- your full name and a job title;
- your professional email address;
- your accurate phone number;
- your location (optional).
Cosmetology Resume Examples
Writing a cosmetologist resume, you can follow all the tips and steps given earlier. But you need to know a few additional recommendations.
There are some vital extra skills to list in your resume:
What should you include in your cosmetology resume to make it look perfect? Due to the peculiarities of this job, apart from the standard categories like summary, experience, skills, and education, you should also add a few extra sections.
Namely, we recommend adding a separate section dedicated to your certifications and any additional training that will highlight your qualification. Also, feel free to create a section like Additional Activities or Hobbies & Interests to show more of your personality. It’s important in such jobs as a cosmetologist since it implies close interaction with customers.
Now, you can check out a few cosmetology resume examples to get on the right track.
- customer service;
- active listening;
- attention to detail;
- interpersonal skills.
Child Acting Resume Examples
What to focus on in child acting resume examples? First of all, it’s the resume photo. Since it is an acting resume, it’s important to add a good photo of the child. Greate resume examples are not easy to craft. You have to research keywords, action words to stand out. Something great takes time.
Next, focus on the skills section. It is vital to highlight the child’s acting abilities, as well as soft skills, and anything else they can do.
Also, it is vital to include a separate section with physical stats, such as age, height, weight, hair length and color, eye color, clothing and shoe size, and so on. These details will help recruiters define whether a kid fits a particular project.
Animators Resume Samples
When it comes to the animator resume sample, you should pay special attention to the skills section. Even your experience won’t be as important if you can show a wide range of relevant hard and soft skills.
Apart from some job-specific hard skills and technical strengths (such as knowledge of various software), the most important features are the following:
One more tip for writing this type of resume is to add links to your portfolio, website, or social media accounts that show some examples of your past projects.
- good 3D math proficiency;
- critical thinking;
- analytical skills.
Harvard Resume Sample
If you are writing a senior administrative assistant resume for such a famous facility as Harvard, every tiny detail matters.
Here are a few tips to keep in mind:
Also, add links to social media profiles. Such big facilities as Harvard thoroughly check their employees’ online footprint, and you should be ready for this. They will check you anyway, so you can save recruiters’ time and provide them with all the links yourself. Just make sure your accounts look good. Here's more info about resumes & cover letters for PhD Students.
- write a strong summary of qualifications for administrative assistant;
- pay special attention to your experience and education sections;
- quantify your achievements;
- use job-relevant keywords;
- fill your administrative assistant resume with valid soft and hard skills.
Let’s recap the main points from this guide.
Hopefully, our tips and resume samples were helpful. Use them to make your resume flawless, and you will win a job!
- A perfect format should be selected individually.
- A resume should have a summary or objective to attract attention.
- A work experience section should provide basic info about the past places of work and bullet points with achievements (preferably quantified).
- There should be a separate section with job-related soft and hard skills.